Mary Feilding Guild
From the past to the present
Lady Mary Feilding founded the Working Ladies Guild in 1877 to provide work and housing for poor gentlewomen. The word Guild was used to underline one of her basic principles, that the organisation should be, as were the mediaeval guilds, 'a society for mutual help and united work'.
Since its foundation the Guild has seen many changes. The Guild's main focus is now the running of its residential home in Highgate. Men are admitted, the name has been changed to Mary Feilding Guild and there is now no reference to the social status.
It continues however to retain the standards and qualities that set the Guild apart. Members of the Managing and House Committees visit the Guild frequently and get to know the residents personally. Most important of all, the staff, on whom so much depends, show all the qualities to which Lady Mary attached so much importance - kindness, respect, friendliness and courtesy to the resident, and efficiency and hard work in the work they are employed to do.
Donations: Ms Mary McGloin, General Manager
Chair: Ms Elizabeth Wright
Treasurer: Mr Hans Wiener
The Guild is run by a Managing Committee, whose members are the trustees of the charity. They are responsible for the strategic decision making of the Guild. The Guild is also registered at Companies House as a company limited by guarantee.
The General Manager and her staff are responsible for the day-to-day running of the Guild. There is also a House Committee, members of which are involved with the wellbeing of residents and the environment of the Guild.